Modified from Chops' Chef Rickey Figueroa mushroom gratin with Asiago cheese topping, as requested by Glenda Laster, Jonesboro, GA, and published in the AJC online edition of What's for Dinner!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup vidalia onion (or sweet onions ~ chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 lb button mushroom (quartered)
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (use 1/2 teaspoon, then taste before adding more!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 tablespoons asiago cheese (finely shredded)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and saute, stirring occasionally until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, and cook until all the liquid evaporates.
- Add half & half and reduce to a sauce consistency. Taste for seasoning ~ add more salt if necessary.
- Transfer mixture into two ovenproof serving dishes sprayed with cooking spray; top with Asiago cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 425F oven until the cheese melts, and is crusty ~ about 8-10 minutes.
Okay you mushroom lovers out there, listen up - this is one you have to try! Holy moly we loved this dish! It is so rich, creamy and delightful. Prior to making this recipe I did contact the chef (Kerfuffle) as I only had red wine on hand. We agreed that this should not change the recipe too much so I went ahead and made it with red wine and it was the bomb! I have attached a step by step photo guide showing the recipe from beginning to end. It does take a while to cook off the liquids but eventually it does happen. I used "light" half and half cream. The sprinkling of asiago cheese brings it right over the top. A fabulous recipe I will make again and again. Made for Fall PAC 2012. I thoroughly enjoyed all of your recipes, thanks KUW!
So rich and creamy, you'd never know it was lightened up! Just delicious. I had mine as a side to some grilled chicken, but this dish just cries out for a delicious steak! Thanks for sharing. Made for Rookie tag game.