Recipe by crafty chef
This salad is so good! I adapted this recipe (it originally included cooking some pork) to become just a salad that I could add any kind of meat to it, if I wanted. If you're in the mood for southwest flavors, give this a try!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, whites minced and greens thinly slice, separated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 head romaine lettuce, trimmed and chopped (about 1 1/4 lbs)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels, thawed and patted dry
- 2 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, scallion whites and garlic; Combine chile powder, salt and pepper and add to mixture.
- Add romaine, tomatoes, corn, cheese, and scallion greens to the bowl (if you are adding meat, you would add it here).
- Toss to combine and serve immediately.
- Tip: To neatly cut up a head of romaine, halve it through the core, and make a few evenly spaced cuts lengthwise, leaving core intact. Chop crosswise into bite-size pieces.