Recipe by Deb's Recipes
Simply delightful Southwestern salad dressed with delicious smoky, spicy Thousand Island. A must try!
Smoky Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red bell pepper (or other color)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chiles in adobo, very finely minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 16 ounces romaine lettuce leaves, torn (about 12 cups or 1 1/2 ten-ounce bags prepared lettuce)
- 1 cup large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, at room temperature
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped (or a mix of colors)
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (almost 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large firm ripe avocado
- 1 cup Doritos, crushed coarsely then measured (we used Spicy Sweet Chili flavored Doritos)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash hard-boiled egg with fork in a small bowl into very small crumbly pieces. Stir in remaining dressing ingredients.
- Combine lettuce, tomato, corn, black beans, bell peppers, scallions, and cheese in a large bowl and toss. Add dressing and toss again to coat.
- To help avocado stay nice & green and Doritos retain crispness, wait until just before serving to toss them into salad. Makes 6 large servings.