1/4 Photos of Chopped Salad by Marconi's in Baltimore
Andi of Longmeadow Farm's Note:
"Marconi's" restaurant opened it's doors in the early 1920's, and had been a staple on the Baltimore restaurant scene until it closed recently. This historic restaurant is truly where I obtained my love of lettuce salads when I was a youngster. I went with my mother and father, downtown (sometimes even during the week!) to enjoy the great American "classic dinner". I always felt like a grown-up ordering my own salad, which was made table side. I absolutely fell in love with the big old woodened, seasoned, salad bowls and large wooden forks to mix up the ingredients. I could eat anyone under the table eating one of these salads, and to this day, this salad is a favorite of mine. Just recently, this inspired "Marconi Chopped Salad" showed up in the "Baltimore Sun" paper by Brucie White who answered a request for this recipe. Although "Marconi's" never officially published this recipe, Mr. White has tried to put together the components that were so inspired for so long in memory of this great establishment. I have added my own twist by some additions, but I wish to credit Mr. White for his contribution. Go ahead, chop some salad, and remember when.............
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1 large tomato (roma or plum tomato)
- 1 (2 ounce) can anchovies packed in oil, drained and chopped (optional)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (low-fat can be used)
- 1/4 cup sweet peas (fresh or frozen) (optional)
- 1Well chill fresh ingredients first, except for tomato.
- 2After chilling, mix lettuce through pepper ingredients in a large chilled salad bowl.
- 3Add mayonnaise into salad bowl and toss completely.
- 4Chop salad with two knifes thoroughly.
- 5Add peas. (if fresh - I toss peas in without blanching - frozen add as is. ).
- 6Plate on salad plates with crackers for scooping.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chopped Salad by Marconi's in Baltimore
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 167.4
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 100.8 mg
- Sodium 250.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 4.0 g