1/6 Photos of Chopped Salad Appetizer Shells
This beautiful appetizer consists of an Italian chopped salad that is mounded into cooked pasta shells. It can be made up to four hours ahead and the romaine salad will remain crispy for serving. Note: To give proper credit, this is an adaptation of Italian Chopped Salad in Shells, which uses chicken as a main ingredient. In the version I am posting, the chicken is eliminated and the chopped salad is garnished with salami and feta cheese. I also make my own vinaigrette, but if you prefer, just use a bottled Italian dressing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces jumbo pasta shells (about 24)
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 3/4 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 3 ounces italian salami, chopped
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1Cook shells in plenty of boiling water according to package directions, being careful not to overcook them. Rinse in cold water; set aside. (For advance prep tip, see note at end).
- 2Chop all salad ingredients, making sure you have all the pieces quite small so that you can easily stuff the salad into the shells.
- 3Make dressing; pour over salad and toss lightly. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- 4Stuff salad into cooled shells (now you will understand why you chopped the ingredients into small pieces!).
- 5Refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving.
- 6Advance preparation tip from a reviewer: "The day before, I cooked the shells to al-dente, rinsed them in cool water, separated them and let them cool. Then, I put them in a ziplock. I chopped everything for the salad part and put it in a ziplock, without the dressingl. The next day, I mixed the dressing into the salad and stuffed the shells. Worked like a dream.".
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chopped Salad Appetizer Shells
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.7
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 13.9 mg
- Sodium 196.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed Italian herbs