This dressing is much better than any store-bought. I'm not usually a Thousand Island type of person, but this is great on this salad, and on crab or shrimp Louis as well. I found this in Bon Appetit magazine, February 1998. Prep time does not include making hard-boiled egg.
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento, drained and chopped
- 1 large hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- hot pepper sauce
- 2 medium head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- Combine first 8 ingredients in medium bowl and whisk to blend. Season dressing to taste with hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Place lettuce in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat.