Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
101 Cookbooks Blog
- 1 1⁄2 cups shallots, skinned and thinly sliced
- splash of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup mild flavored extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure toasted sesame oil (optional)
- 1⁄2 of a medium-large cabbage
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup chives, minced
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu
- Stir together the shallots, splash of olive oil and big pinch of salt In a large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir every few minutes, you want the shallots to slowly brown over about 15 minutes.
- Let them get dark, dark brown (but not burn). if needed turn down the heat.
- Remove them from the skillet and onto a paper towel to cool in a single layer. they should crisp up a bit.
- Make the dressing by whisking the miso, mustard, and brown sugar together.
- Now whisk in the rice vinegar and keep whisking until it's smooth.
- Gradually whisk in the olive oil, and then the sesame oil. Two pinches of fine grain salt. Taste and make any adjustments if needed.
- Cut the cabbage into two quarters and cut out the core. Using a knife shred each quarter into whisper thin slices.
- The key here is bite-sized and thin. If any pieces look like they might be awkwardly long, cut those in half.
- Gently toss the cabbage, shallots, almonds, red onion, chives and tofu in a large mixing/salad bowl.
- Add a generous drizzle of the miso dressing and toss again - until the dressing is evenly distributed. Add more a bit at a time if needed, until the salad is dressed to your liking.
- Serves 3 - 4 as a main dish, 6 - 8 as a side.