Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My grandmother always used both chicken and beef liver, and it had to be broiled to make it kosher. Use Schmaltz and Gribenes (Rendered Chicken Fat) for the schmaltz and gribenes. She only made this for Passover.
- 2 lbs chicken livers
- 1⁄2 lb beef liver
- 1 onion, quartered
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1⁄2 cup crispy fried chicken skin and fat (gribenes)
- 1⁄4 cup rendered chicken fat (schmaltz)
- Broil the livers until done, about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Pass livers, onion, eggs and gribenes through a meat grinder with a coarse plate. Stir in chicken fat.
- Serve sprinkled with kosher salt. Serve with fresh challah, or matzo, or crackers.