Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is from Rachael Ray.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, eyeball it
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 8 slices bacon, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 avocados, halved and diced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Heat a grill pan or nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Coat chicken breasts with 2 teaspoons oil, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Wash hands. Grill or pan-fry chicken 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and let rest 5 minutes.
- In a small pot, cover eggs with cold water. Place over high heat and bring water to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Set a timer for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, cool eggs under cold running water. Peel and chop.
- Brown chopped bacon in a skillet over medium high heat. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Chop 3 hearts of romaine lettuce and place in a large serving platter or salad bowl. Dress chopped lettuce with the juice of 1 1/2 lemons. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over lettuce. Season greens with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss diced avocados with juice of remaining 1/2 lemon, to retard browning.
- Halve chicken breasts and chop the meat.
- To serve, arrange rows of chopped chicken, chopped hard boiled egg, crisp bacon bits, diced avocado, diced tomato and chopped red onion on top of either 4 individual portions of dressed romaine or 1 large serving platter.
Simply Fantastic! After looking at the "dressing" portion of the ingredients, I didn't have too-high-a-hope, but that opinion was soon changed when tasted. Each ingredient was placed in separate bowls, and we each added them to our bowls of romaine. Then the lemon juice, good quality extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper was sprinkled over all. End result is that the combination of flavors and the dressing is much better than pouring a store bought dressing. In my opinion that was the beauty in flavor, simple and clean and the cheese was never missed. Thank you Irish in the City for a keeper that will be added to my recipe files! Tagged it for PAC Spring 2014.
Very good! It makes you realize that cheese and fancy dressing like they give you in restaurants just isn't necessary. The only change I would make next time is reduce the amount of red onion because it was overpowering. Great salad!
This was just excellent and made for a great dinner. I used a bought Butter & Garlic flavored chicken which had a wonderful flavor. And besides chopping things up a little differently, made as directed. Loved the simplicity of the lemon juice. I forgot how much I like that on salads. Although you have this titled (No Cheese) you have shredded cheese in the instructions. I left it out and didn't miss it at all. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for PAC Fall 09 :)