Recipe by figaro8895
Itzhak Perlman praised this recipe as almost as good as his mother's.
Top Review by Buster's friend
Used 6 chicken thigh skins for the schmaltz and crispy skin (sauteed w/a sprinkle of salt until fat rendered & skins crackly crispy). Boned those thighs and froze for another day. This recipe made OUTRAGEOUSLY delicious chopped chicken liver for sandwiches - 4 of them. Crazy good & came together nicely - poured off the schmaltz as it rendered to separately cook the livers and then the onions... we'll definitely have again when the weather gets cold. Keeper recipe! Thanks for posting figaro8895
- 1 lb fresh chicken liver
- 3 tablespoons rendered chicken fat or 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- crispy fried chicken skin and fat (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the livers in half the fat until they are no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and add the onion and the remaining fat.
- Saute the onion until golden.
- Grind the liver-onion mixture and the eggs using a coarse blade on your grinder.
- Add the crispy fried skin and tiny pieces of crunchy friend chicken fat if you wish.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Serve with toast points or crackers.