Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has got to be one of the most delcious recipes! It is yet another chopped liver recipe which is wonderful. Courtesy of Barefoot Contessa Parties (2001) - Ina Garten. Television Food Network, G.P. copyright 2003.
- 2 lbs chicken livers
- 1 cup rendered fat or 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups medium-diced yellow onions
- 1⁄3 cup madeira wine
- 4 extra-large eggs, hard-cooked, peeled & chunked
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Drain and pat the livers dry saute them in 2 batches in 2 Tablespoons of rendered fat over med-high heat; turning once, for about 5 minutes, or until just barley pink inside.
- Transfer them to a large bowl.
- DON'T OVERCOOK or livers will be dry.
- In the same pan, saute the onions in 3 Tablespoons of chicken fat over med-high heat for about 10 minutes or until browned.
- Add the Madeira and deglaze the pan, scraping the sides for about 15 seconds.
- Pour into the bowl with livers.
- Add the eggs, parsley, thyme, salt, black pepper, cayenne and remaining chicken fat (or melted margarine ) to the bowl.
- Toss quickly to combine.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse 6-8 times until coarsely chopped; do this in batches.
- Season to taste and chill.
- Serve on cocktail rye, crackers, toast points or matzo.
- Enjoy until next year!