Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Traditional mozzarella-tomato-basil taken up a notch. Taken from Cook's Country.
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 fresh basil leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (12 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1. Combine mozzarella, oil, shallot, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Coarsely shop half of basil leaves and add to mozzarella mixture; set aside while preparing tomatoes. Combine tomatoes and 1 teaspoon salt in separate bowl; transfer to colander set in sink and let drain for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Tomatoes can be prepared up to an hour in advance).
- 2. Tear remaining basil leaves into 1/2-inch pieces. Gently toss tomatoes, romaine, olives, vinegar, mozzarella mixture, and basil together in large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve.
Really good! Nice light salad for summer. I usually don't like kalamata olives, but chopped up really fine, you don't know they are there and gives a nice layer of flavor