Recipe by Marie
Great fruit bread with an orange flavor.
Top Review by andypandy
I used butter instead of shortening as that is what i had on hand. I also used two small oranges again to what I had on hand, and since it doesnt state the amount of juice I figured it would be okay. After baking I cooled then wrapped well in foil overnight. This is a very good recipe, the only thing is I found that it just could have been a little sweeter . Next time I will up the sugar by 1/2 cup.
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 orange, juice of, plus water to make 3/4 cup liquid
- 1⁄2 cup chopped raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped candied cherry
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream shortening, add sugar and beat well.
- Add beaten egg and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with liquid to egg mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir, do not beat, then add fruit and nuts which have been dusted with flour (this will distribute them more evenly).
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350° for 1 1/4 hours or until done.
- When loaf is cool, drizzle with a glaze made with confectioners sugar and milk.