Recipe by * Pamela *
Submitted for RSC#9. Original instructions forgot to include the five spice powder with the other ingredients in the blender. I also forgot to include that I always use low sodium soy sauce. These changes have been updated. You can also use any chicken pieces you desire including breasts, thighs, wings, etc. For more pronounced flavour, marinade the chicken overnight in a ziploc bag and then proceed with step 3. This recipe can also be made in a crockpot.
Top Review by joanna_giselle
This was a wonderful recipe! Delicious chicken with an asian flavour which is not overpowering or too spicy. Everyone has loved this recipe and it was so easy to make that it deserves 6 stars.
- 177.44 ml soy sauce
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 59.14-78.07 ml brown sugar
- 1 orange, juice of
- 2.46 ml orange zest (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4.92 ml ginger
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 2.46 ml five-spice powder
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 9.85-14.78 ml cornstarch, if desired for sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 9 ingredients into a blender and pulse until blended smooth.
- Pour mixture over chicken in a 9X13 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken is done.
- Serves 6-8. The sauce is wonderful over rice.
- If desired, remove chicken from baking pan and pour the sauce into a medium saucepan and add 2-3 tsp cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened. Pour over chicken and serve.
- To make in crockpot, cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.