Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My partner and I belong to a co-operative gardening project, so we frequently get bushels of just one type of vegetable and need versatile recipes that we can use over and over with a variety of seasonal garden treats! We love this recipe with Broccoli, fresh peas or carrots! You can use asparagus or try putting a dent in that never-ending supply of zucchini! Easy to make--just cook overnight in a crock pot!
- 1 lb carrot (or broccoli or asparagus, whatever you have)
- 1 large onion
- 4 -6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 cup milk (use soy, if vegan)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream (soy, if vegan)
- 4 tablespoons minced chives
- Scrub veggies well and roughly chop.
- Add to crock pot and fill will vegetable stock until veggies are covered with an inch or two to spare.
- Add olive oil, freshly ground pepper, lemon juice. Peel and add as much garlic as you can handle (I usually add a whole head - at least 10 individual cloves - because we love it!).
- Set crock pot to medium and leave to cook overnight or while at work - about 8 hours (veggies will be very tender, maybe even falling apart, when ready).
- Just before serving, remove one half of the contents of the crockpot and puree`.
- Add puree`d veggies back to the crock pot, whisk in milk and serve.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and chives.
i registered here just to review this recipe. I used carrots, broccoli, vegan sour cream, and hempseed milk and this soup came out absolutely amazing. i will be making this at least once a week, probably for the rest of my life. thank you so much for sharing this!
I got a crockpot for christmas, and I found this recipe while looking for something vegetarian to cook. It was really good, although I thought it was a tiny bit bland. However, I only used half of a whole garlic clove instead of a whole one, so that's probably why. I used zuchini as my veggie, and added some red potatoes as well.