Linda's Busy Kitchen's Note:
This versatile cookie dough recipe is one not to be without! Great anytime, but especially wonderful during the holidays when you can make up 1 basic dough and use it to make so many different kinds of cookies for your cookie trays for the holidays and gift giving! Please pick the type of cookie you want to bake BEFORE you start baking, because some ingredients will vary depending on which of the 7 versions you choose. Serving Size, Preparation and baking time depends on which kind of cookie you decide to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Basic Directions:
- 2In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening and butter with a mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- 3Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar and baking soda. Beat until fluffy.
- 4Add eggs and vanilla, beat until combined.
- 5Beat or stir in flour.
- 6Use the dough immediately, or cover and chill for up to 24 hours.
- 7Drop slightly rounded tablespoon of cookie dough 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 8Bake at 375°F, for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
- 9Remove the cookies and cool on a wire rack.
- 10Makes about 48 cookies.
- 11Fruit Oatmeal Rounds:
- 12Prepare dough as directed, but substitute 1 cup of rolled oats for 1 cup of flour.
- 13Stir 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon into flour mixture.
- 14Also stir a 6 ounce package of mixed dried fruit bits or raisins into the dough.
- 15Bake as directed.
- 16Peanut Butter Buddies:
- 17Prepare dough as directed, but add 1/2 cup peanut butter along with eggs and vanilla.
- 18Also, stir a 12 ounce package of peanut butter chips in to dough.
- 19Bake as directed.
- 20Malted Milk Treats:
- 21Prepare dough as directed, but substitute 1/4 cup instant malted milk powder for 1/4 cup of flour.
- 22Also, stir in 1 1/2 cups chopped-up malt balls into dough.
- 23Bake as directed.
- 24Macadamia Mania:
- 25Prepare dough as directed, but stir 2 cups of coarsely chopped white chocolate baking bar and 3 1/2 ounce of Macadamia nuts into dough.
- 26Bake as directed.
- 27Double Chocolate Delights:
- 28Prepare dough as directed, but substitute 1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder for 1/2 cup of flour.
- 29Also, stir a 12 ounce package of semi-sweet chocolate chip pieces into dough.
- 30Bake as directed.
- 31Chocolate Candy Cookies:
- 32Prepare dough as directed, but stir 2 cups of candy-coated milk chocolate pieces into dough.
- 33Bake as directed.
- 34Super-Chunk Chippers:
- 35Prepare dough as directed, but stir 1 cup of coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate, 1 cup coarsely chopped milk chocolate and 1 cup chopped pecans into the dough.
- 36Drop dough from a 1/4 cup measuring cup about 4 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- 37Flatten the cookies slightly with a spoon.
- 38Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until the edges are slightly browned.
- 39Make 18 cookies.
- 41To make a variation in advance, wrap the dough in freezer wrap, and freeze for up to 6 months.
- 42Before baking, thaw dough overnight in the refrigerator.
- 43Bake as directed.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Choose a Cookie Dough
Serving Size: 1 (954 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.1
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 37.0 mg
- Sodium 84.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 2.5 g