Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
A favorite at Vista Verde Ranch in near Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Can be made up to 2 days in advance; cool, cover and store airtight at room temperature. Serve with Creme Anglaise #48996
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- In a 2-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 cup water to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in molasses and baking soda.
- After mixture stops foaming, stir in 1/2 cup cold water; let cool to room temperature, stirring often (about 10 minutes).
- (This can also be done easily in microwave).
- In a small bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat butter and brown sugar until well blended.
- Beat in eggs until blended.
- Reduce speed and add flour and molasses mixtures alternately until incorporated, then beat on high spped until well blended.
- Pour into a buttered and floured 9-inch square pan.
- Bake in a 325 oven until a toothpick inserted in center of thickest part comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool on pan on a rack for at least an hour.
- Serving suggestion: Pour about 1/4 cup creme anglaise onto each plate.
- Cut cake into pieces and set them in sauce on plates.
- If desired, lightly sift unsweetened cocoa and/or powdered sugar over each plate and garnish with a mint sprig.
- Offer additional creme anglaise at table.
A nice dense,moist gingerbread.Thanks for this one. I am looking for a recipe like my gran used to make...This is very good.
Wonderful cake. I could not find the recipe I used in the past, but I don't remember that one being as good as this one. I used white whole wheat flour and added an extra egg because the ones I had seemed a bit small. It made a great smell in the house and came out with a nice edge on top and moist on the inside. We have all had two pieces already! It's great with a glass of milk.