Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 hrs
Cholent is a meal made mostly by orthodox Jews. Since orthodox Jews do not cook on the Sabbath, but they want to eat something warm, this is the perfect answer. This is prepared before the Sabbath and then turned on and cooks for approx. 20 hours until lunch time. It is traditionally served with kishke cooked on top of it and then served along side of it.
- Soak beans overnight and rinse beans.
- I also rinse the barley.
- In large frying pan heat oil and add onion.
- Fry until browned.
- Add meat cubes and brown.
- Add tomato paste, onion soup mix, brown sugar and 1 cup of water and simmer on low flame with lid for approx 20 minutes.
- Now using a crock pot.
- Add peeled potatoes.
- I like them whole, but some like to cut them in chunks.
- Add soaked and rinsed beans and rinsed barley.
- Pour sauce and meat mixture over this and try to mix.
- Add approx 3/4- 1 cup of water or until it is barely covered.
- Place in crockpot on low right before the Sabbath and it will be ready the next day for lunch.
- The entire house will smell amazing.
- Remove liner from crockpot and let sit about 15 minutes.
- Stir gently and serve.