Recipe by hennyww
Special tip: For easy after Shabbos clean-up, transfer cholent to a foil pan, cover with foil and put it into another foil pan and recover with foil. Then just pop it into the oven or onto the blech before Shabbos!
- 1 medium onion
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cubed stew meat
- 3⁄4 cup barley, picked over and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup red kidney beans, picked over, rinsed and soaked overnight
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- brown meat in hot oil and remove to heat-proof plate.
- Saute onions in pan drippings until translucent.
- add remaining ingredients, top with browned meat, just cover with water and bring to rapid boil over high flame.
- Cook on very low flame for 1 1/2 hours until beans and barley are soft.
- Transfer to pan and refrigerate until just before Shabbos.
- Cook over shabbos in low oven, on blech or in crock pot.