Cholay (Spiced Chickpeas)
- In large deep skillet, saute onions and jalapeno in olive oil.
- Add whole cumin after a few minutes.
- Once onions are soft and slightly brown, add coriander, turmeric and ground cumin. Coat onions, add more oil if needed.
- Add tomato and ginger. Allow to cook until a gravy like consistency is reached. You may need to stir and break up the tomatoes some.
- Drain one of the two cans of chickpeas and add both to the skillet. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- I like to add some of the fresh cilantro to the skillet and allow it to wilt in the mix right before serving.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and lime juice sprinkled on top. Do not forget the lime juice! It's very important!