Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Indian recipe passed on by my favorite vegan, Kittee from http://www.pakupaku.info/
Make and share this Cholay (Spiced Chickpeas) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno, minced
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1⁄4 cup ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drain one
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- lime juice
- In large deep skillet, saute onions and jalapeno in olive oil.
- Add whole cumin after a few minutes.
- Once onions are soft and slightly brown, add coriander, turmeric and ground cumin. Coat onions, add more oil if needed.
- Add tomato and ginger. Allow to cook until a gravy like consistency is reached. You may need to stir and break up the tomatoes some.
- Drain one of the two cans of chickpeas and add both to the skillet. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- I like to add some of the fresh cilantro to the skillet and allow it to wilt in the mix right before serving.
- Serve with fresh cilantro and lime juice sprinkled on top. Do not forget the lime juice! It's very important!
Great, simple recipe! Highly recommend!