Indian recipe passed on by my favorite vegan, Kittee from http://www.pakupaku.info/
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 fresh jalapeno, minced
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drain one
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- lime juice
- 1In large deep skillet, saute onions and jalapeno in olive oil.
- 2Add whole cumin after a few minutes.
- 3Once onions are soft and slightly brown, add coriander, turmeric and ground cumin. Coat onions, add more oil if needed.
- 4Add tomato and ginger. Allow to cook until a gravy like consistency is reached. You may need to stir and break up the tomatoes some.
- 5Drain one of the two cans of chickpeas and add both to the skillet. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- 6I like to add some of the fresh cilantro to the skillet and allow it to wilt in the mix right before serving.
- 7Serve with fresh cilantro and lime juice sprinkled on top. Do not forget the lime juice! It's very important!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cholay (Spiced Chickpeas)
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 368.7
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 648.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 12.6 g