Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I got from my grandmother who probably got it from her mother and so on. I have always love these pickles with corn meal, lamb chops and sausages. Enjoy!
- 4 -5 medium chokos
- 4 large onions
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 liters apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry
- Chop chokos and onions into seperate dishes.
- Cover with 2 handfuls of salt then cover with boiling water.
- Leave to stand overnight.
- Drain off water, place in boiler.
- Add sugar and cover with vinegar; boil for half an hour.
- Let it go off the boil and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Mix flour and spices in a bowl add enough vinegar to make a smooth paste.
- Add to choko and onion mix and stir well; bring back to boil and boil for a few minutes until thick, stirring to avoid lumps.
- Don't screw lids until cold.
If anyone else is as ignorant as I, choko is another name for a chayote or vegetable pear.