I finally found a recipe that thickens like syrup! Great on pancakes.
Make and share this Chokecherry Syrup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups chokecherry juice (see first step)
- 6 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Wash chokecherries, place in a large kettle, barely cover with water and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes till the cherries are soft.
- Mash gently and strain the chokecherry juice through a sieve or cheesecloth.
- Pour 3 cups juice into a large kettle; stir in the sugar.
- Cook on high, stirring constantly.
- Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and skim foam.
- Add extract if using (almond extract gives a stronger cherry taste).
- To can: Pour hot syrup into sterilized hot jars to within 1/8th inch from top.