I found this recipe on the Kraft Kitchens Website a few years back. I was poorer than dirt and my son like PB& J sandwiches for his school lunches, since chokecherries grow wild around here it was a cheap way to make jam.
My Private Note
half pi ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring boiling-water canner, half full with water, to simmer. Wash jars and screw bands in hot soapy water; rinse with warm water. Pour boiling water over flat lids in saucepan off the heat. Let stand in hot water until ready to use. Drain well before filling.
- 2Crush chokecherries thoroughly, one layer at a time. Place chokecherries and water in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Press through a sieve. Measure exactly 3 1/2 cups pulp into 6 or 8 qt saucepot. Stir in lemon juice.
- 3Stir pectin into prepared pulp in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil that doesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- 4Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8" of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2 piece lids. Screw bands tightly. Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1-2". Add boiling water, if necessary.) Cover; bring water to gentle boil. Process 10 minutes. Remove jars and place upright on towel to cool completely. After jars cool, check seals by pressing middle of lid with finger. (If lid springs back, lid is not sealed and refrigeration is necessary.).
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chokecherry Jam
Serving Size: 1 (1560 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 667.7
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 172.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 171.6 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: