Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted in response to a forum discussion. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- 2 oranges
- 1 quart chokecherries
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- Cut the oranges into very thin slices, remove the seeds, place in a deep saucepan and cover with water.
- Cook till skins are tender.
- Stem and clean chokecherries.
- Strain cherries through a food mill to remove pits.
- Add pulp to cooked orange slices and mix, then add spices, lemon juice and sugar.
- Mix thoroughly and simmer over a low heat till thick.
- Mixtures will clarify a little when ready.
- Remove from heat and spoon mixture into hot, sterile jelly jars and seal.