Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
"This fudgy cookie flattens and crackles open during baking, hence the lava reference." An awesome chocolate fudge cookie recipe by Julie Van Rosendaal.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetend cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- icing sugar
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, and salt, breaking up any lumps.
- Stir in butter until mixture is combined and crumbly.
- Add egg whites and vanilla, stir by hand until dough comes together.
- Place a few tablespoons of icing sugar in shallow dish.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, then roll in icing sugar to coat.
- Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes.
Maybe I did something wrong but when I'd mixed everything together I got a powdery mass. I think it may be that everyhting settles a little strangly before it gets here (I'm in Japan right now) so that may have been part of it but I had no luck with this recipe.
These were delicious and very fudgy! The dough was really sticky and a little hard to roll into balls, but once they were rolled in the powdered sugar they were perfect. Will definitely make them again!
One of my son's friends at university phoned me to say they were the best cookies she'd ever had! Big bonus that they are low fat.