Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
You HAVE to try this!! What a great combination-how can you go wrong with peanut butter, chocolate, and bananas?? This recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens Annual Recipes cook book (1998).
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 236.59 ml mashed banana (2-3 medium)
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml creamy peanut butter
- 118.29 ml milk
- 473.18 ml self-rising flour
- 177.44 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 118.29 ml chopped peanuts (optional) or 118.29 ml pecans (optional)
- Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of two loaf pans; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the eggs, bananas, sugar, peanut butter, and milk.
- Stir in the flour just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Fold in chocolate pieces and peanuts or pecans.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350°F oven about 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove loaves from pans.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Wrap and store overnight for easier slicing.
- **If you do not have self-rising flour, substitute with 2 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda.
As some one mentioned it can get dry. I've made this 3 different times, today I used organic peanut butter which has a little more peanut oil in it. It was PERFECT with the extra oil, so if you were to make this without organic peanut butter, I'd add maybe 1/4c. of oil to the recipe, to help with the dryness. oh and DO NOT OVER COOK that will also contribute to the dry factor. This is a great base recipe to play with. :o)
I am not a big fan of banana breads. I made this because I had over ripe bananas to use up. To my surprise I thought they were pretty good! I used the mini chocolate chips. I didn't have any nuts so I used extra chocolate chips in their place. You can never have too much chocolate! I baked this as muffins instead of in a loaf. That way it is easy to pop one into lunches or grab them on the go. I baked them for 17 minutes at 350. They turned out great! Thanks so much!
Came out dry and not too much peanut butter flavor.