Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I make these cookies every year for Christmas. I have to make a double batch though because they are everyones favorites. They are fantastic! Even cold from the fridge they are awesome. HINT: score the top of the chocolate topping before you put it to firm up in the fridge; it will make it easier to cut them. They ARE a bit delicate at the base, but I promise you, no one will care lol
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 35 caramels
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 1⁄4 cups pecans (I use chopped)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (it called for milk chocolate originally, but I always use semi- sweet myself)
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- Heat oven to 325 degrees; Grease a 9 inch square pan.
- In medium bowl, combine the 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and 1 tablespoon cream; blend well.
- Add flour; mix until crumbly.
- With floured hands, press evenly into the greased pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the unwrapped caramels and 1/2 cup whipping cream.
- Cook over low heat until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth, stirring occasionally.
- (I actually use the microwave for this step; it is quicker with less chance of burning).
- Remove from heat.
- Add pecans; stir well to get them coated.
- Immediately spoon over cooked crust.
- spread CAREFULLY to cover crust.
- In small bowl, combine topping ingredients.
- Microwave until smooth, being careful not to burn the chocolate.
- Drizzle over filling (I just spread it on there-- heck with pretty:p) Refrigerate one hour or until it is firm.
- Cut into bars.
- Makes 24 bars-- at least in theory lol.
After reading Janet's description of these cookies, I was super careful taking them out of the pan. I didn't have to worry though as the base wasn't delicate at all and held together very well. The taste was very rich and decadent. The only problem I had was with the chocolate topping as it didn't want to firm up very well. I believe this was my fault though. I think I didn't use quite enough chocolate chips. I'll definitely be making these again making sure I use the correct amount of chocolate chips next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe!