These brownies are chocolaty and gooey and not low in anything! When we made them I wanted to use up the rest of the miniature marshmallows that I had which wasn't close to 1 pound - but in reality closer to 1/2 cup - however using the full amount would make them even more scrumptious and gooey I imagine. Recipe source: Reader's Digest Edited: the frosting part of this recipe was corrected after one reviewer mentioned that the directions weren't clear.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa (we use Hersey's)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts (optional)
- 1 lb miniature marshmallow (see note in description)
- 1 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl combine the 1 cup softened butter, 2 cups sugar, 1/3 cup cocoa and the 4 eggs.
- Stir in the flour, vanilla, salt and nuts (if using).
- Pour into greased 1-inch deep baking sheet (or a large baking pan; we used a 9 x 13 pan but had to cook the brownies longer).
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cover with marshmallows. (I used quite a bit less but with great results).
- Bake 3 to 5 minutes so marshmallows can melt.
- To make frosting: mix together remaining ingredients (1 1/3 cups powdered sugar,butter, cocoa, and evaporated milk) using an electric mixer.
- Frost brownies when brownies are cool.