Recipe by Jodi B.
These individual chocolate cakes are simple to make, can be made way in advance and their intense flavour combined with their light texture is sure to please any chocoholic you know or make a great little personalized ending to your dinner party! As rich as these little delights are, a dollop of whipped cream will send your taste buds soaring.
Top Review by yogi
Wow! Definitley a great chocolate 'fix'! They are light, and yet extremely chocolatey. I didn't have any other chocolate, so used Dove Dark pieces. The whipped cream is a wonderful addition. My regular size muffin tins could have made more than 8 cakes if I filled each 3/4 of the way. I buttered 8 so just went with it and over-filled them a bit, but it turned out just fine. Any choco-holics out there really need to try this one!
- 6 ounces best quality chocolate
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 400 degrees.
- Have all ingredients at room temperature.
- Butter then dust with sugar muffin pan or other similar molds.
- Heat chocolate& butter until melted& smooth (either in a microwave on medium or on top of a double boiler with barely simmering water).
- Remove from heat& sift in cocoa& stir until smooth.
- Using hand mixer or whisk, slowly beat cream of tartar and egg whites.
- Increase speed to high and gradually add sugar until peaks hold their shape.
- Add one quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it a bit and then fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Fill the muffin tins about 3/4 of the way and bake 7 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven& cool 2 minutes on a wire rack, the cakes will appear cracked on top and should be runny in the center.
- Unmold individual cakes by inverting muffin tins over rack.
- Serve with dollop of whipped cream.
- You can make these delights a few days in advance.
- Simply keep the filled molds in your fridge, just make sure to increase baking time by about 2 or so minutes.