Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- In small bowl combine cocoa and boiling water, set aside. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 9-inch round pans. (Don't use 8-inch pans or they will overflow!).
- Cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, beat well.
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Blend in cocoa mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until they test done. Cool and frost with a icing of your choice.
This chocolate cake turned out well - I received many compliments. It wasn't as flavorful as I would have liked, which I believe was my fault as read shortening and used crisco (I think I would have rather used butter). Very easy, too!
Nice moist cake and quite chocolatey!! I made it for Valentine's Day for DH, he loved it. I made white iceing for the sides and inside with coconut and put chocolate icing on top just cus he likes both. Turned out great I will make it again, thanks for posting Marg.
This cake is amazing! I have it in my favorite brand names cookbook. moist, rich, soft...and a little denser than the average chocolate cake (in a good way). I always use milk and vinegar (instead of the buttermilk) and it comes out great. Use a cocoa-based buttercream frosting.