Recipe by Rita~
This cake must be good for you with zucchini, sweet potato, cherries and cocoa! How can you go wrong?
Top Review by Noochie Mama
I made a version of this for my son's first birthday cake, but I omitted the nuts and cherries. I also used whole wheat flour rather than rye (my son hadn't had rye yet). I used maple syrup instead of honey and reduced the brown sugar to one cup. Instead of the glaze, I frosted it with a lightly sweetened cream cheese and whipped cream frosting. He loved it and the small taste that I had was very moist and flavorful. A MUCH better alternative to typical sugary cakes. I plan on making this as written some day, but wanted to include my version in case someone else is looking for a lower sugar cake that is perfect for baby's first birthday.
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup rye flour or 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup grated sweet potato
- 1 cup dried cherries, hydrated in
- 3 tablespoons rum or 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup your favorite liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a bundt pan.
- Sift together first 7 ingredients.
- Set aside.
- In a mixer mix oil, sugar, honey add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix dry ingredients into egg mixture then add buttermilk.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into pan and bake for 50-60 minutes till toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Invert onto cake dish.
- Mix glaze and water and pour onto cake.