1/1 Photo of Chocolate Zucchini Rum Cake
1 hr 5 mins
- Momma Loon's Note:
This is a reduced fat yet high flavour; rich, fudgy and moist; best of all no one suspects that there is zucchini in the cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups flour, all-purpose (spoon into dry measuring cup and level to top)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (Natural, such as Hershey's, spoon into dry measuring cup and level to top)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded-small
- 1/3 cup rum or 1/3 cup brandy or 1/3 cup water (If use water, add in 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons rum
- 1Position a rack in the center of the oven.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Generously grease a nonstick 10-inch tube pan.
- 4In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- 5Make a well in the center of the ingredients and set aside.
- 6In a medium sized bowl, applesauce, brown and white sugars, eggs and egg whites, zucchini, rum, buttermilk and oil.
- 7Beat for 1 minute with a handheld mixer on medium/low until frothy.
- 8(Use a small grater holes for grating the zucchini. It is not necessary to peel them, but make sure they are well-rinsed.- Drain any excess water from the grated zucchini before using. Place in colander and let drain for about 10 minutes before using. Do n) Pour applesauce mixture into the well made in the flour and dry ingredients.
- 9Quickly fold ingredients together with rubber spatula until almost combined.
- 10Continue to fold in chocolate chips until a few wisps of flour remain.
- 11Do not overmix.
- 12Pour into a prepared tube pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until done.
- 13The cake will spring back lightly when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- 14Do not overbake.
- 15Let sit on a wire rack for 15 minutes and then unmold cake.
- 16Place right-side-up on a wire rack to cool completely.
- 17To serve, combine powdered sugar and rum in a small bowl.
- 18Place on a rimmed cake plate and glaze with the rum glaze.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Zucchini Rum Cake
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 315.8
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 27.2 mg
- Sodium 193.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 42.0 g
- Protein 5.4 g