Prep 30 mins
Cook 22 mins
I was looking for something to do with the zucchini from my garden but I wanted it to be clean and healthy. I also wanted it to be rich and tasty because I wanted to treat my friends! I threw this together with dark chocolate and it turned out amazing. It is not overly sweet, but that could be rectified with another half cup of sugar. (I preferred less.)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar (pure dried cane)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 3 cups zucchini, shredded
- 10 ounces dark chocolate
- If not using dark chocolate chips, break up the dark chocolate into small chunks.
- Shred the zucchini and set aside and allow to drain a bit.
- Mix the dry ingredients together except sugar.
- Cream together eggs, sugar (note, you can use white sugar but I prefer organic dried cane sugar as it not only is minimally processed, but it adds an amazing flavor like a light brown sugar), and coconut oil. Canola oil or butter can be substituted.
- Add the yogurt and zucchini to the creamed mixture and then slowly mix in the dry.
- Last, add the chocolate and mix by hand.
- Put into prepared muffin tins. Be sure to grease them well!
- Bake at 400 for between 18 and 23 minutes. Watch them because they go from almost ready to ready very fast.
- Remove from muffin tins within five minutes and allow to cool on a rack or they stick to muffin tins.
- Share with friends.