I found this recipe on Allrecipes. It is so delicious! Perhaps not for those on a low-fat diet, but all in all, pretty good for you. Moist, chocolate-y and so good. My husband hates zucchini, but he will eat these. Prep time does not include shredding zucchini. At the advice of a reviewer, I am posting this note. If you find that the cocoa will clump if you mix it with the vanilla and zucchini, you can add it instead with the flour and other dry ingredients. Enjoy!
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease two 12 cup muffin tins with shortening or line with paper cups.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Beat in sugar and oil.
- Add cocoa, vanilla, zucchini, and stir well.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices.
- Mix just until moist.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tins until 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Store loosely covered.
So good and another great use for my bumper crop of zucchini. I made a half batch, rounding up to 2 eggs...and they turned out beautifully.
I did vary from the recipe some due to the fact that i only had one cup of zucchini left over in the freezer. So I added a cup of carrot finely shredded to go with it. I also only used cinnamon and ground clove. It turned out well, however next time I think I will try using applesauce and whole wheat flour to make it healthier.
I thought these were really yummy. I used a fresh zucchini from my neighbour's garden which I finely grated and added chocolate chunks which I made by coarsely chopping some dark chocolate. I only added cinnamon out of the spices (because I couldn't be bothered searching through my spice jars to find the others) and the muffins were perfect and devoured by all, young and old!