Recipe by Shar-on
This cake was created for "Ready Set Cook Summer 2004" contest.
Top Review by Cindy Lynn
Initially, I was only going to give this recipe a 3 or 4 as I made it as my dessert when we had house guests for dinner. Everyone were already pretty full; in fact, nobody wanted dessert at all immediately after finishing our meal--all contest entries! One guest and I decided later in the evening to try a piece of cake and were both rather disappointed. DH ended up trying some the following day and just raved over it. I was just shaking my head as I couldn't understand what all the excitement was about--curiosity got the best of me, so I cut a small piece and gave it another try. It was wonderful after sitting over-night. I definitely recommend making this at least a day before serving; you won't be disappointed!
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup milk
- 1⁄2-1 cup sliced almonds (to your liking)
- whipped topping, to decorate (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a 9 x 13 inch pan by greasing it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make cake, beat eggs, oil, honey and brown sugar tog.
- Mix dry ingredients (baking powder, salt, flour, buckwheat flour and cocoa) and set aside.
- Mix tog buttermilk and soda and set aside.
- Add zucchini to egg mixture, then add 1/3 of the flour mixture.
- Mix the remaining flour mixture and buttermilk alternately into the egg mixture.
- Add almond flavoring.
- After this is all mixed tog well, pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degF for 35- 40 minutes, testing with a tooth pick to see if done, especially in the middle or in the cracks.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the topping by melting the butter, then add brown sugar and milk.
- After the cake is done remove from oven and spread 1/2 of the topping mixture over the cake, making sure all the cake has topping on it, then sprinkle the sliced almonds over the cake evenly and to taste.
- Drizzle the remaining syrup of the almonds on the cake and return to oven.
- Broil the cake until it is nicely browned,watching not to burn the topping.
- Can be served warm or cold.
- Top each serving with some whipped topping, like whipped cream, to taste.