Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from the Joshua Grindle Inn in Mendocino, California.
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups grated raw zucchini
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Lemon orange glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- grated orange peel
- lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour one bundt pan.
- Cream butter and slowly add the sugar, beating until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the vanilla, orange peel and grated zucchini and blend well.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add to the zucchini mixture alternately with the milk and beat until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter in prepared pan and bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- To make glaze, stir vanilla into sugar until a runny paste is formed.
- Stir in peel and enough juice to make glaze pourable.
- When cake is completely cooled, turn out of pan onto serving plate and drizzle glaze over the top.
- Garnish with fresh flowers, if desired.