This is not a bunch different from many other recipes here at Recipezaar, the prinicple difference being that it uses sour cream instead of buttermilk. This version of the recipe comes from a church cook book. I used this recipe because most zucchini chocolate cake recipes had rather shocking amounts of eggs, oil and even chocolate in them as if the zucchini some how nullified any less healthy ingredients. I will submit this as written and then share what I do to lighten it and turn it into cupcakes/muffins, which I leave unfrosted. Even lightened up, this has a nice moist texture and is very tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream butter, oil and sugar.
- 2Add eggs, vanilla, sour cream and cocoa to mixture; mix well.
- 3Then add zucchini, flour, salt, soda, and baking powder.
- 4Bake in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan at 350 degrees until it tests done OR.
- 5Bake in muffin tins lined with cup cake papers in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 28 minutes.
- 6To LIGHTEN IT UP, I use 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup canola oil and 1/2 cup applesauce. I also use 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1 cup white flour.
Browse Our Top Midwestern U.S. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Zucchini Cake/Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.0
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 32.0 mg
- Sodium 196.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 2.5 g