Recipe by gnet
This recipe came from my high school friend's mother. It is so moist and delicious! My husband didn't want to have at first because of the zucchini, but he couldn't even tell it was in there! For a more healthy route, my sister-in-law does this: omit the butter, ¼ cup vegetable oil, and 3-3½ cups zucchini. Lastly, instead of buttermilk, you may use ½ cup milk+ ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice- let mixture stand at least 5 minutes.
Top Review by Leighmcl
Absolutely delish! But could you take a look at your instructions? #4 and #7 both have us mixing in the dry ingredients. I followed my instincts and creamed the liquids with the sugar and then the dry ingredients and milk. I also used the whole 10 oz bag of chocolate chips. I was going to eat them either way, so...:)
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter & flour a 9x13 pan.
- Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, & salt into a medium size bowl.
- Beat sugar, butter, & oil with dry ingredients until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Mix in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions each.
- Stir in grated zucchini.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips & nuts (optional) over top.
- Bake about 50 minutes, testing with toothpick.
- Cool cake in pan.