1/1 Photo of Chocolate Zucchini Cake
1 hr 10 mins
This recipe came from my high school friend's mother. It is so moist and delicious! My husband didn't want to have at first because of the zucchini, but he couldn't even tell it was in there! For a more healthy route, my sister-in-law does this: omit the butter, ¼ cup vegetable oil, and 3-3½ cups zucchini. Lastly, instead of buttermilk, you may use ½ cup milk+ ½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice- let mixture stand at least 5 minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Butter & flour a 9x13 pan.
- 3Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, & salt into a medium size bowl.
- 4Beat sugar, butter, & oil with dry ingredients until well blended.
- 5Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 6Beat in vanilla.
- 7Mix in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions each.
- 8Stir in grated zucchini.
- 9Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 10Sprinkle chocolate chips & nuts (optional) over top.
- 11Bake about 50 minutes, testing with toothpick.
- 12Cool cake in pan.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 442.6
- Calories from Fat 204
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 51.7 mg
- Sodium 393.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 38.0 g
- Protein 5.4 g