Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups regular all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup soft butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 2 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the four, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon; set aside.
- With a mixer, beat together the butter and the sugar until they are smoothly blended. Add the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. With a spoon, stir in the vanilla, orange peel, and zucchini.
- Alternately stir the dry ingredients and the milk into the zucchini mixture, including the nuts with the last addition.
- Pour the batter into a greased and flour-dusted 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan. Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes (test at 45 minutes!) or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 15 minutes; turn out on wire rack to cool thoroughly.
- Drizzle glaze over cake.