Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from Bon Appétit magazine, November 1995 issue.
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini (about 2 1/2 medium)
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F Butter and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt into medium bowl.
- Beat sugar, butter and oil in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Mix in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions each. Mix in grated zucchini. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over.
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan.