Prep 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups zucchini, coarsely shredded and unpeeled
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 lbs confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until fluffy.
- Add sugar gradually, beating until mixture is thick and lemon-colored.
- Beat in vanilla and butter.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk.
- Beat until smooth.
- Fold in zucchini and walnuts.
- Divide batter into four greased and floured 8 or 9-in. round pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back when gently pressed.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove to wire wracks and cool completely.
- For frosting, beat all ingredients in a large bowl until creamy.
- Frost between layers and on sides and top of cake.
I have tried different recipes and found that this one is the best! I took another recommendation and used a 9x13" pan using 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 can of chocolate frosting and everyone really loved the cake. The only difference I made was using the remaining batter and putting it into a loaf pan which I froze to bring out at a later date for Choc. Zucchini loaf. Thanks for a great recipe!
This was nice and moist, but I felt it wasn't chocolatey enough for a chocolate cake. I will probably add chocolate chips next time to give it a boost.<br/><br/>With this recipe, I made 24 cupcakes PLUS a standard loaf, which was nice. Cupcakes cooked for 20 minutes. Loaf longer, but I just kept checking at 10 min intervals until it was done. Maybe 45-50 min.
This cake is awesome. I made it because I had so many zucchini to use up in my garden. I made mine without nuts and I made it into 3 cake layers. Rich, moist and decadent. I am going to try to replace half of the butter with applesauce the next time I make this cake. This would also be good with some chocolate peanut butter icing/frosting. Thanks for sharing this recipe.