Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is Jackie French's (Australian writer/TV personality/gardener) recipe, and it is delectable! I made it for myself with vanilla soy milk (I don't have regular milk) but I still used real butter (can't beat the flavour!) The hint of orange rind in the aroma and taste of this rich but light cake makes it really special.
- 185 g unsalted butter
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour (I used a mix of 1/2 cup white flour & 1 cup wholemeal)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup milk (I used vanilla soy milk, So Good brand)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Grease and lightly flour a round cake tin (I used a bundt tin).
- Cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl till light and creamy, then beat in eggs one at a time.
- Sift flour and cocoa together.
- Fold half the flour mix, half the zucchini& orange rind and half the milk into the creamed mixture, and mix till just combined.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients, and again mix till just combined.
- Place mixture into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until cake is firm to touch and springs back when pressed by finger.
- Cool for 5 minutes in tin, then turn out onto cake rack to cool.
- Ice as required or simply enjoy as is.