Recipe by BecR
This is a nice and moist chocolatey cake, nicely spiced and we like the addition of walnuts. You can dress it up with a dusting of powdered sugar, if you like. Recipe is from my sis-in-law Susie; she's been making this cake since the 70s. Best made a day ahead. Makes one bundt or tube cake, or two loaves. Enjoy!
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 2 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together until light in color eggs, oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and cooled melted chocolate; mix well.
- Stir together flour, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon; set aside 1/4 cup.
- Add remaining flour to egg mixture, mixing just to blend.
- Toss nuts with the 1/4 cup flour mixture; add to egg mixture and blend well.
- Spoon into a well-greased and floured tube or bundt pan, or two 9 by 5-inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until cake tests done when a pick is inserted in the center and comes out clean (45-50 minutes for loaves, or about 1 hour for the tube cake).
- Cool in pan, then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling. Wrap cake in plastic wrap until the next day. NOTE: Cake is best served the day after baking.