Recipe by DrGaellon
Adapted from a recipe by Diane on allrecipes.com. Modified slightly to reduce fat and make it moister. Freezes well. Can be vegan if you leave out the sour cream. Can replace half the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour if you choose. Natural cocoa powder is preferred to Dutched; the slight astringency will cut through the sweetness and richness better. Greasing and powdering the pans helps with release; using cocoa powder instead of flour prevents tell-tale white spots on the dark surface of the cakes (but you can use flour in a pinch).
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Thoroughly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans, 6 mini-loaf pans or a Bundt pan, with non-stick spray. Add some cocoa powder (NOT the amount in the ingredients; you'll use that later) to each pan and shake until well-coated; discard any excess powder.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave unsweetened chocolate at 50% for 30 seconds. Stir, then microwave at 50% for additional 30 second increments, stirring after each, until chocolate is about 80-90% melted (most microwaves will manage this amount of chocolate in 1-2 minutes total). Let stand 2 minutes, then stir again. If not fully melted at this point, microwave at 50% for 20 seconds more.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, oil, grated zucchini, vanilla and melted chocolate; beat well.
- In a second bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and 2 tbsp cocoa powder. Toss the chocolate chips in the dry ingredients until coated. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients until incorporated; do not overmix (a few streaks of flour are acceptable). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes for regular loaf pans, 20 minutes for mini-loaf pans, 60-80 minutes for Bundt pan, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes, then turn out onto a rack until completely cool.