Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another family favorite.
- 6 ounces semisweet baking chocolate
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee or 2 teaspoons espresso (not granular)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6oz)
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Microwave both baking chocolates and butter, in a meduim bowl, on high for 1 minute.
- Stir mixture.
- Repeat at 30-second intervals until chocolate and butter have melted and mixture is smooth.
- Or melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.
- Let chocolate mixture cool slightly.
- In another medium bowl (with mixer on high speed) beat eggs, sugar, coffee powder, vanilla, salt, and baking powder until lighter in color and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in chocolate mixture (which may still be quite warm).
- Add flour and beat until just blended.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Dough will be gooey.
- Using a scant 1/3 cup batter per cookie, drop 5 mounds on each cookie sheet.
- Do not flatten tops.
- Bake no longer then 13 to 15 minutes.
- Surface of cookies will be dry, shiny, and cracked.
- Inside will be soft.
- Slide foil off of cookie sheet.
- Cool cookies on foil or remove to rack to cool.
- *To toast nuts, preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spread nuts in a single layer in a shallow pan.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until nuts are lightly colored.
- Cool before chopping or using.