Top Review by smellyvegetarian
We really liked this, and our new neighbors (for whom we made it) agreed :). I used whole eggs and powdered buttermilk. I also cut down the sugar b/c we don't tend to like things as sweet as others--3/4 c of raw sugar was fine for us. I also pressed some chocolate chips into the bottom when this came out of the oven (so they would melt in) and next time I plan to put them in the pan before I add the batter so they will be like a topping. The only reason I'm not giving this 5 stars is that I think it needs a little something else for texture, either chocolate chips or nuts. Thanks for a yummy recipe, though--it is absolutely a great way to get a chocolate fix and feel virtuous about eating veggies at the same time. It also tastes pretty good with red wine :). Thanks for posting!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 eggs (you may use egg substitutes)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups fresh zucchini, unpeeled, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a 10 Cup bundt pan with nonstick spray, make sure you get all the crevises coated.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Stir together dry ingredients (first ten items) both types of flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of this mixture.
- In another bowl, beat eggs until foamy (not too much- just foamy).
- To the eggs, add wet ingredients (applesauce, buttermilk, and vanilla) and stir (I used a rubber spatula).
- Add the zucchini to the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Pour this wet mixture into the "well" you made in the dry mixture. Fold wet and dry ingredients together, just until ingredients are all moistened and gently combined, but don't overmix or you will have tough bread.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Cool bread in pan for about 20 minutes, then remove and devour.