Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Mmm Nummy!! Happy valentines! I didn't put cook time in as it is as long as it takes, depends on chocolate.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup lightly-salted butter
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup Scotch whisky (or more)
- poundcake or angel food cake, cut into 1 inch cubes
- fresh strawberries
- fresh pineapple, cut into small wedges
- Place sugar and water in a small non-aluminum saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until mixture simmers, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, uncover and cool to lukewarm.
- Melt semisweet and unsweetened chocolates with butter and cream.
- Slowly blend cooled sugar syrup into chocolate mixture using whisk, reserve at room temperature until ready to serve.
- to serve, reheat chocolate mixture in double boiler over hot water just until hot.
- Stir Scotch into chocolate mixture.
- Transfer mixture to warm fondue pot or serving dish.
- Serve with cake cubes and fruit, as desired, for dipping (fondue will thicken as it cools).
This was super easy and very good! You don't have to break up the unsweetened chocolate - but be careful not to burn it. I have made this twice and the second time I added extra whiskey but preferred it with only a quarter cup. I also served it with angel food cake (cut it up and let it sit out awhile so that it's firmer for dipping), strawberries, bananas, pretzels, marshmallows and small balls of cookie dough. Talk about a little slice of heaven...!