Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
The chocolate and whiskey complement each other nicely. This recipe calls for an ice cream maker; the time does not include freezing.
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 8 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 6 -8 tablespoons whiskey (to taste)
- Chop chocolate and melt in the microwave or on the stove.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar by hand until the mixture is thick and pale yellow (should be 2-3 minutes).
- Scald the cream and milk in a large saucepan.
- Pour about 1/4of the cream into the yolks and whisk; then return yolks to the saucepan.
- Cook at low heat (keep stirring!) until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain into a bowl and add melted chocolate and whiskey.
- Stir until the mixture is well-blended, then chill thoroughly.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker.