Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sinfully rich, and intensely chocolate. Prep time does not include refrigeration time.
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cut into tablespoons
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- Heat milk to boiling in large heavy saucepan.
- Stir together sugar and cornstarch in a mixing bowl; beat in eggs until smooth.
- Very slowly stir in half the boiling milk, stirring constantly; return to saucepan.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly; boil 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir chocolate pieces and butter into custard until melted; gradually stir in 1 cup of the cream.
- Pour chocolate filling into baked pie shell; lay a sheet of wax paper loosely over filling; cool; refrigerate overnight.
- Remove wax paper from pie.
- Whip remaining 1 cup cream in small bowl until stiff; spread over pie.
I made this for thanksgiving and it didn't go over very well. The texture was a bit grainy and it was very very very sweet. I couldn't even finish a slice and neither could my sister. It was good, just not great.